Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wednesday, October 10: Science Museum & Hyde Park

First Observation: I have come to the conclusion I would thoroughly enjoy touring London all by my little lonesome for three weeks. The experience with two children is a study in glorious highs and appalling lows. I am assuming the passage of time will erase the memories of the lows. God I hope so! If I never remember the poking, prodding and bickering on the Tube it will be too soon.

Second Observation: Perhaps a half day stuck inside the flat isn't the best disciplinary tactic. I think I was the one punished most. Two boys in 800 square feet without television is not a fun experience. Especially after learning there is absolutely no escape when all three males snore loudly: one in the master bedroom, one in the other bedroom and one on the sofa. Agh! I am happy to report that not only did I get a hot shower, but I learned another trick that enabled Colin to take one right after me and still have hot water. I'm getting the hang of this! Still struggling with the position of light switches though. Up is off and down is on.

We set out at lunchtime so the first thing we did at the Science Museum was eat lunch. Logical decision because we have little to no food in the flat. We stumbled upon a nice sit down restaurant which was a relief to me because I am weary of figuring out the self-service counters with the boys. And women have a bad reputation for changing their minds.

The boys were not nearly as enamored of the Science Museum as they were of the Natural History Museum. The only things they were really interested in either cost extra or were closed for refurbishment. We were still there for three hours, but if you ask Liam and Colin they'll tell you we didn't do anything. Nothing including an interactive exhibit on spying that was pretty cool, a motion simulator thingy that was fairly disappointing to me but Liam enjoyed, interactive energy exhibit and breezing through galleries with cool cars, steam engines, space craft, history of plastics, history of computers...yep we didn't do anything at the Science Museum.



I got to the point where I needed fresh air and could tell Liam was reaching his limit. So I dragged the kids two whole blocks to Hyde Park with which they were initially underwhelmed but then decided it was a pretty cool place after all. The picture above is of the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain where we entered the park.





The boys wanted afternoon tea again so we stopped at the Lido for tea and biscuits. They are so funny about that! On to the playground where they ran off their ya yas for quite a bit. The sun had broken through the fog and it was a glorious autumn day. They chased pidgeons and geese, annoyed bicyclists and explored the rose gardens. I was thrilled by how much joy the boys got out of the rose gardens. I'll let them wander through those paths as much as they want. Colin recognized the lambs' ear that also grew in granda's old garden.






We exited by the Wellington Arch and caught the Underground home. Have I mentioned how awful the kids are on the trains? Stopped at a grocery store on the way home to pick up a few things for dinner and breakfast. Plans are to finally go to the Tower of London tomorrow. It's supposed to be similar weather so hopefully that means spectacular. The boys are itching for more fish and chips. I haven't told them yet, but I believe I may try to take them to Greenwich on Friday followed by the Tate Modern when Jamie dismisses his class early so his trainees can catch their trains home for the weekend.

Londoners are quite lovely and helpful. But seriously, someone must teach them about salad dressing.

4 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little girls enjoyed the crazy soap box orators in Hyde Park. Do they still do that? I think there was a band playing that day, too. Do you remember?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger The Pacifist Patriot said...

Speakers Corner. Yes, they still do it. I have no memory of it I'm afraid. Sorry!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

Fish and Chips in London must be like soft pretzels in Philly. Sure other palaces have it, sort of, but why?

I looked up Tate Modern. Is THAT going to be fun for the kids or what? Note my comment earlier in the week about my kids at the Philadephia Museum of Art.

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slacker. Some of us have to work for a living.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home