Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tuesday, October 16: National Museum of Childhood

Our original plans today were to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace but with a forecast of rain we decided to wait until Thursday when we will presumably have colder but clearer weather. Not a bad idea considering I didn't drag my body out of bed until 10:00 a.m. and we didn't leave the flat until 1:00 p.m. Changing of the guard was history by that time.

I didn't tell the boys where we were going and that drove them predictably crazy. I do so love that. Yesterday we had a discussion about daily budgets and made them make the choice between nice restaurants for lunch or tourist attractions with entrance fees and souvenirs. My boys came to the conclusion that we are taking tons of photos, there is plenty to do that is free and souvenirs don't really last as long as photos and memories anyway. That sound you heard was my jaw dropping. Today they begged to have lunch at Nando's, but we arrived at Jubilee Place at peak lunchtime and there was already a line. We ate at a little counter cafe that had the best panini I've ever had and the boys agreed...at half the price, whew! Still, with the exchange rate, three sandwiches cost $35. Ouch! See my point?

We took the DLR to the Central Line and emerged from the Bethnal Green tube station. We had to fly blind at this point because my handy dandy book map does not extend to this part of the city. At least the museum was visible from where we popped out of the ground. At first the boys were skeptical. Oh no, another museum! Not like this one boys. When we entered they assumed it was just cases and cases of toys they couldn't touch. And there is that. But then they noticed there was stuff you could actually do too. The boys first made houses out of construction paper to be mounted on the wall. The docents were very amused by our discussion of how much easier it was to be featured in the National Museum of Childhood than in the Tate Modern and you don't even have to open a tuna can to do it. I forgot to mention the boys have been speculating on and off for the last three days how the Tate decides which person's red square, torn canvas, paint drippings or empty tuna can has been rendered art worthy of preservation in a museum. Hell if I can explain it to them.

At any rate, they had the opportunity to make their own art, create their own toys and play a video game with them, play Checkers and Snakes & Ladders, dress up as a fireman, ride rocking horses, etc. I was thrilled to learn both of their absolute favorite hands on activities was playing with a doll house. Who'd have thought it! I think I see a Christmas present on the horizon. I adored watching them let loose while browsing through toys dating from about 1700-2006, and resting on couches to read children's books from around the world. I was tickled pink to stumble upon some marionettes of Hansel and Gretel dated 1977 that are the exact ones my parents bought for my sister and I at Harrod's in 1976. Oh, and of course we had afternoon tea. We were there for almost three hours.

Here's the best story of the day. An elderly lady and her granddaughter were riding the two rocking horses. I asked if she had a camera and would like their picture taken. She was startled, but delighted and brought out a digital camera from her purse. I took the picture and returned the camera. A few moments later she came up to me to ask if I knew how to review the pictures because her granddaughter wanted to see it. Her daughter-in-law had given her the camera with little to no instruction. After fiddling with it, I determined we first had to overcome the problem of dead batteries. I always have spares on me so I popped some in and solved that problem. She tried to pay me for the batteries, but of course I wouldn't hear of it. If I've got one spare battery here in the flat I've got fifty. I taught her how to use the camera and we went our separate ways passing one another off and on throughout the afternoon. I ran into her again in the dollhouse section and she pointed out one particular Edwardian dollhouse and informed me her mother had made it. Wow! Just wow. Of course I am including a photo of it.



Relatively uneventful trip back to the flat with the exception of changing trains at the one station that has woefully inadequate signage for finding the Jubilee line. A kind Londoner sent me in the right direction. After that it was home for dinner. Jamie and I ran out to the grocery store for a few items and stopped at a truly local pub for a pint on the way back. The North Pole. I must take a picture of it. It is right around the corner from the flat. I can't think why I haven't photographed it already. I feel like I've taken a picture of everything else in this city. Including bicycle racks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home