Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thursday, October 18: Buckingham Palace


This morning did not begin with the best of portents, but once I had the boys dragged into Green Park the day picked up. The changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace was not as interesting as I remember it from when I was a child. Colin spent the time whining about wanting water and Liam got a bit squirmy there as well. Thankfully the American tourists around us were amused by the boys rather than perturbed. I've decided to take the boys to the changing of the Horse Guard tomorrow as that is supposed to be a much less obstructed view and more pomp and circumstance. We ducked out before the conclusion of the ceremony which didn't bother me at all.

I took the boys to The Phoenix for lunch and it was fantastic! I had a butternut squash and cumin soup, fish pie and side salad. Colin even ordered the fish pie and pointed out that unlike his brother he has not had a hamburger since leaving the states. I was going to link to the pub, but they are all old reviews prior to the rennovation and new management. Suffice it to say it is no longer "grotty" or particularly over-priced. At least not compared to everything else here in London. It is, however, conveniently tucked away in a quiet street quite near the Royal Mews which was our next stop.

I loved it! Despite her school-marmish look, the tour guide was a delight and had a wonderful sense of humor. She had to do some fancy dancing to change the order of the tour to avoid a stampeding horde of primary school children. I thought the guided tour and access to a working stable was well worth the entry fee. The boys both stayed attentive and seemed to enjoy it thoroughly. We were extremely lucky. The Irish Coach was brought out into the yard as it is being prepared for a state visit on October 31. We also saw the Royal Mail coach which only comes out once or twice a day.

If the Gold Coach looks attractive in pictures and on television, nothing compares to seeing it in person. It is most definitely a piece of art. The next time it would be brought out would be in 2012 for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee or Charles' coronation. I think even the boys were impressed with it. Though I suspect the highlight was the gift shop where I allowed them to pick out two more medieval knight action figures.


At this point I felt it best to let them play in St. James' Park, but right before we got there we saw a contingent of soldiers lining up down a flight of stairs at Wellington Barracks where a carriage was waiting to carry someone of importance away. I'm pleased to report we were hardly the only gawking tourists waiting to see who the dignitary was. For a brief moment I thought it was Prince Charles and Camilla, but in my defense that was at quite a distance, I did not have the thought for long and I do not have the best eyesight as it is. I snapped lots of pictures and came to the conclusion that it is absolutely no one I would have heard of before. If anyone recognizes his picture do please comment as I am very curious.

The boys loved the playground and I do believe I might have some vague memories of it. It certainly looked old enough to have been around in 1976. While the boys played I drank my first cup of coffee since arriving in London and called home to speak to my baby who cannot be bothered to hold an ongoing conversation with mommy. I interrupted Sesame Street. On the walk back to the Green Park station I took the boys past St. James Palace where the Queen Mother used to live. A bit disappointing as the traditional guards that I remember are no longer in the boxes by the front door. Still had to stop and photograph the boys out front though. Took the train home, fed the boys dinner and I'm in for the night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home