Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thursday, October 11: Tower of London to St. James's Park

The grammar in that title drives me crazy, but it is correct as far as signage goes. I had to chase the kids out of the flat this morning but they picked up enthusiasm as we made it to the DLR.

Our first stop was the Tower of London which was a favorite when my family visited in 1976. I even searched high and low for a Henry VIII and wives coloring book for my sister but they don't sell it anymore. Shoot! Would that have been a nostalgic gift or what? I was thrilled to have my picture taken with the first female Yeoman Warder in history. We joined a tour in progress missing only the first stop. Liam got many of the jokes, but I'm afraid it was over Colin's head. Sometimes literally.

After the tour we went through the armory in the White Tower and then saw the Crown Jewels. I wanted to get a picture of the boys with Henry VIII's prodigious phallous protruding from his armor (psychological warfare I suppose), but Liam ran on ahead. They have an interactive exhibit which allowed us to sample pulling a bow. The boys rated "need practice," but I am proud to say I ranked "yeoman archer" which was just one notch down from "dead on target." I am woman, hear me roar.

Next stop was the crown jewels for Colin who I think was a tad disappointed. I think the photos in the brochures made him think they were going to be larger them him or something. Sadly they do not allow you to take photographs inside. Well, I was impressed even if the boys were underwhelmed. On to lunch at the New Armorie Cafe!

After lunch we toured the various towers including of course the Bloody one. We breezed through the torture exhibit and saw the raven's home. By this time the weather was so darned spectacular I was almost too hot in my outfit. We had been at the Tower for three hours so I told the boys they could pick where we went next. "Oh mommy. Mommy dearest. Favorite woman in our lives. The lady who gave us life and loves us dearly. May we please. Please. Please. Go back to the Lions." (And she buys them ice cream from a truck outside the Tower Hill Tube station)

Let me think. Sit down, put up my foot, sit in the sunshine and listen my Thomas Cahill book on iPod? Sure! We can go back to the lions. And mommy got a bonus. Very shortly after we emerged from the Embankment Tube station we ran into a film shoot. Dustin Hoffman 10 feet away! He is in London filming "Last Chance Harry" to be released in 2008. You know, as much as I've heard he is short, he was taller than I expected he'd be.

So we press on to Trafalgar where I let the boys loose and settled down at a table at a cafe with a glass of white wine, soaking in the sun and listening to Cahill's "Everlasting Hills." Life is so tough. I also had the opportunity to call my parents and speak to my dear Aidan briefly. He was too busy eating so I got a "Hi mommy, love you mommy, bye mommy" from him.


Liam got a bit frustrated unable to climb on the lions. Kind strangers would life Colin, but Liam is just too big and heavy. His behavior deteriorated so I dragged them out of there immediately. I intended to take them straight to Westminster station and home on the Tube, but decided to detour through the Horseguards parade grouind and into St. James's park. We dawdled a bit while the boys tried to tempt squirrels and pidgeons with niblets of leaves (they weren't deceived).



Back on the train and meet daddy at Canary Wharf for dinner at Wagamama. I was a bit worried Colin wouldn't appreciate the noodle dishes, but lo and behold they had a children's menu and he admitted during dinner he regretted his previous desire to head straight back to the flat instead of stopping for dinner. Thanks to a co-worker of Jamie's this evening may be spent watching either "The Vicar of Dibley" or "The Black Adder" on DVD.

Forever will this day be remembered as the Day of the Latchless Toilet. Every single place I went to empty my bladder, and that is considerable considering I am a thrice-time post-partum female, I ended up in the stall with a broken latch. However, due to quick reflexes I do not believe any strangers saw anything they shouldn't. As for weird bathroom behavior, I am not sure if I top Jamie's Japanese tourist photographing himself in a washroom or not. I was treated to two German ladies studiously picking their noses. Goodness that took a long time. Exactly what is up there?

1 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Blogger Adam Byrn "Adamus" Tritt said...

Tape recorders. That is what was up there.

Which Cahill book?

I understand the bathrooms in the Minneapolis Airport are going to be pay toilets now. They are borrowing a term from radioland and calling it 'Pay to Play.'

As far as latches, I carry a rubber band in my back pocket for just such an occasion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home